Pro Cycling Coach & Semi Pro Cyclist
- Cheesecake (sadly reserved for special occasions only!)
- Too many to list but anything superhero!
- I don’t have a favourite genre I listen to anything that gets me motivated, from dance to classical
- I read mainly magazines, subscribe to Cyclist
Dream Holiday Destination
- I’d like to tour America via bike
Who are the most important people in your life?
Favourite TV show
- Friends (sigh!) but Game of Thrones favourite currently running
When you aren’t training, what are you doing?
Any other hobbies?
Have you always been into fitness?
No, sadly used to be very unhealthy; smoking, alcohol, poor diet & sedentary lifestyle
How did you get involved with cycling?
Used to as a child then got back into it once I realised I needed a severe lifestyle change
Best athletic achievement so far?
Winner 2014 Kent Cycling Association 12 Hour TT – 269 miles
What are your ambitions for 2015 and beyond?
Win Kent CA Best All Round TT 2015. Challenging for British BAR in the next few years.
Who are your sporting / non sporting role models?
Michael Hutchinson, Adam Topham & Alex Dowsett (among others) for their achievements in TT on these shores, but really like Tony Martin too – think he’s got a great style. Non-sporting I’d have to say my dad is my biggest role model, someone born into nothing who has worked hard all his life to get where he is today.
Tell us something that most people don’t know about you?
Very allergic to nuts
Can you describe the feeling when you received your 12 hour trophy?
One of the best moments of my life, true accomplishment. Although it hurt to know I’d have to defend it!
What are you top three sport nutrition tips?
- Eat healthy & as natural as possible
- Eat at the right time (including 4 am wake-ups for events!)
- When not training dodge sugar
What are your top three training tips?
- Don’t leave training until the Summer to get started
- Progress your training & include regular recovery/easy weeks for adaptation
Why do you use Beet It and how has it helped you?
The performance benefits of using Beet-It allows me to train & compete far harder than without
Why should others take it?
Probably the biggest gains per £ of any upgrade to yourself, bike or training (maybe just behind coaching!)
How important to you is it that it is natural?
100%. There is barely anything I digest that isn’t natural